Crushed corn cob media are made from the woody ring portion of the corn cob. This portion of the cob is separated, dried, ground, air-cleaned, and then classified over screens of various mesh sizes. They are available in granules ranging from 1/4” to a fine powder.
Qualities of crushed corn cobs that make them ideal for pressure blasting include its mild abrasiveness, absorbency, and resilience to attrition. Advantages of using corn cobs for blasting include the elimination of masking, elimination of solvents and pollution concerns, non-sparking and non-toxic operation, non-silica content, and the fact that it is organic and biodegrable.
- Cleaning motors, generators, and heavy equipment
- Cleaning insulators and transformers
- Removal of manufacturing soils from the ceiling of industrial facilities
- Cleaning pipes and pumps in processing plants
- Cleaning and paint preparation of buildings
- Cleaning timbers in log homes prior to sealing
- Cleaning boat hulls
Corn cob media is also commonly used in the metal finishing industry. Metal stampings, molded plastics, and die castings lend themselves to deburring, deflashing, burnishing and polishing in corn cob. It can also be used as a drying media in vibratory and rotary dryers.
Walnut shell is a hard, chemically inert, nontoxic, and biodegradable abrasive. It is processed from cleaned eastern black walnut shells that are grown in the midwestern and central eastern United States. It has a variety of uses and is available in six primary sizes: 6/10, 8/12, 12/20, 20/30, 30/100, and -100.
Uses of ground walnut shell in metal finishing include:
- Cleaning fiberglass, wood, and plastics
- Paint removal on cinderblock and conrete buildings
- Deburring moldings, castings, and electrical parts
- Cleaning of aircraft engine parts
- Tumble polishing of softer metals such as shell casings, jewelry, and medical parts
Ground black walnut shell is used as an abrasive to polish and clean soft metals, fiberglass, wood, and stone. Because it is resistant to breakdown, it can be recycled many times in a pressure blast application. Walnut shell provides an excellent finish without scratching or pitting.
Contact Us with questions or to place your order!